Tuesday, September 7, 2010

The Salsa and Guacamole Show

With my cooking quite often, a lot of people have started assuming I cook only fancy food. Look folks, I'm a recent college graduate working hard to pay off my student debt. The only time I have truffle oil is when I'm in a restaurant. Plain and simple. My cooking has always been about ease and taste. Sure, I occasionally like to break outside the mold and make something that takes me way too long (looking at you, smoked ribs), but my schedule usually consists of my coming home, running, playing with the dog, doing any other chores around the house, and then cooking dinner in the space of about an hour. In fact, I imagine that's most people's schedule. It's all about time. One reason I write this blog is to inspire people to cook, to not buy prepackaged food and spend the little bit of time in your kitchen making something you and your family will enjoy.

That's my inspirational statement of the month. But continuing with that theme, here are two recipes I have posted a long time ago, but easily made together in the space of about 15 minutes. Salsa and guacamole. They can be made side by side, and I keep most of the ingredients on hand at all times. Hope you enjoy.

Salsa (Easy Variety)
1 15-ounce can diced (or petite diced) tomatoes
1 4 ounce can diced green chiles
3 green onions
¼ cup cilantro leaves

Salsa (Fresh Variety)
3 tomatoes, diced
2 green chiles, roasted, peeled, and diced
3 green onions
¼ cup cilantro leaves

For the chunky- chop green onions and cilantro fine. Combine all ingredients in a bowl, season with salt, pepper, a little garlic powder, and cayenne if you want more spice. Chill for 30 minutes before serving.

For the not-so-chunky- Cut green onions into quarters. Add all ingredients into a food processor or blender. Pulse a few times to a desired consistency. Season with salt, pepper, a little garlic powder, and cayenne if you want more spice. Chill for 30 minutes before serving.

Guacamole
2 avocados
2 green onions, chopped fine
2 tablespoons lime juice
½ cup salsa (the stuff you just made)
Salt, pepper, garlic powder

Mash avocados in a bowl. Add the lime juice and stir well. Mix in the green onions and salsa, season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder (don’t leave that out). Serve immediately, or if keeping until
later, cover with plastic wrap pressed tightly against the surface.

0 comments:

Post a Comment