Monday, January 3, 2011

I'm Back! With Pork Chops!

Ok, I’m back.  I could give you a plethora of excuses, from working way too much, going to New Orleans, and just sometimes slacking.  But now it’s the last day of my Christmas break from work, and as part of my New Year resolution, I will blog more (how cliché is that?).

I have been cooking, and I have been taking pictures, so expect a lot more in the coming weeks, months, and beyond.  I’m even going to debut a short video!  
All promises aside, I have lots to write about.  My last few posts focused mostly on apples, specifically apple sauce.  And what goes well with apple sauce?  Pork chops!  This recipe came to me via Em’s parents and is a Cook’s Country recipe.  It’s now my third option with pork chops (along with pan seared and baked) that I make about every other week.  However, I would recommend only using a bone-in pork chop here.  You want the bone to allow the pork to stay moist while cooking, and probably want ¾” to 1” thick chops.

Old Fashioned Pork Chops (From Cook’s Country)

1 tsp garlic powder
½ tsp paprika
½ tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
1 cup flour
4 bone in, rib or center cut pork chops ~3/4-1 inch thick
3 slices bacon chopped (or 2 tablespoons bacon grease)
½ cup vegetable oil

Combine top 5 ingredients in a bowl.  Place flour in shallow dish.  Pat chops dry with paper towels and cut two slits about 2 inches apart through the fat on the edges of each chop. Season both sides of chops with spice mixture and dredge the chops lightly in flour (do not discard flour).  Transfer the chops to plate and let rest 10 min

Meanwhile cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until fat renders and bacon is crisp, about 8 minutes (or if you’re like me and keep bacon grease in your refrigerator, you can skip this step and just use ~2 tablespoons of the fat)  Using slotted spoon transfer bacon to paper toweled lined plate and reserve for another use (do not wipe out pan)

To fry the chops – add vegetable oil to fat in pan, heat over medium high heat until just smoking.   Return chops to flour dish and turn to coat.  Cook chops until well browned, 3 to 4 minutes each side or until internal temperature reaches 145°F, serve

0 comments:

Post a Comment