Tuesday, August 2, 2011

DIY Fruit Spirits



After reading a magazine article about making flavored alcohol, I gave it a whirl.  I don't know why I never did this before!  Making my own infused spirits was not only easy, it was delicious!  I now have a rotating supply of spirits in my refrigerator depending on what's in season and on sale at the store.

The above picture uses strawberry vodka, and I also have peach and blueberry versions in the fridge at the moment.  It's rather simple

You need:
A clear spirit such as vodka or rum
fruit
mason jar

Cut the fruit into 1 inch pieces, or if using blueberries, give them a light mash.  Place in mason jar, cover with the desired spirit, screw the lid on, and give it a few gentle shakes.  Keep in the refrigerator and invert to stir every 2-3 days.  Most are ready after 2 weeks depending on how much flavor you want to infuse.  Strain off the fruit into a clean jar.  Keeps...well, I'm not sure, I usually run out before then.

For strawberry, I recommend a simple spritzer.  Juice half a lime into a class, add 2 ounces strawberry vodka, and top with soda water.

For peach, you could try Peach Sangria from one of my fellow bloggers over at "What's Cookin'"

I'm hoping I can work the blueberry into some sort of martini.  Ideas?

10 comments:

  1. Awesome idea. I'll have to give that a try. Who knew it could be so simple!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! Love a good cocktail, and a fruit one at that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delicious! I make Limoncello - when we lived in Sicily - a friends landlady showed us how....I haven't made any other flavor but lemon - may have to give this a whirl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea! I love flavored liquor so this is right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUM! I love the ease and versatility.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmm...I love flavored vodkas: peach, strawberry, basil (yes, I've made basil vodka!).

    As for the blueberry, how about a new twist on a Cosmo?

    ReplyDelete
  7. @natalie

    Basil vodka! What a great idea! I'm stealing that one from you.

    I'm making fizzes with the blueberry and pseudo margaritas, though the cosmo is another great idea

    ReplyDelete