Monday, July 25, 2011

Artichoke Mania Part 3: Pasta


Whew! Now I had cleaned and braised my artichokes. It seems like a lot of work, but one batch of braised hearts can make at least 2 main courses (or you can make more at a time). I've had the jarred hearts, and I feel the homemade ones were much tastier. Uses? Let me count the ways. You can work it into a salad (use the braising liquid for the base of a vinaigrette), I made artichoke risotto with grilled fish, you can chop them up and make dip, or you can even make a pasta sauce.

The wonderful bit about artichokes is how earthy they make a dish taste. This recipe, from Tom Colicchio's "Think Like a Chef", was instantly a hit in my house. It's a comforting dish and easy to make (as long as you have the artichokes on hand). I love the beans in it, don't leave them out!

Pasta with Artichokes, Cabbage, and White Beans
Adapted from Tom Colicchio

4 braised artichokes (or 1 medium jar of marinated artichoke hearts, drained), sliced
1/2 head Savoy cabbage, cut into large pieces
5 green onions, trimmed and sliced into 3 inch pieces
1 can cannellini beans, rinsed
1 cup chicken stock
1 pound pasta (I prefer rotini)
1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup shaved Parmesan or Romano cheese

Heat a large pot with water until boiling.  Salt, add cabbage and cook until just barely tender, 3 minutes.  Drain and rinse under cold water.  Return pot to high heat with fresh water (and salt) and boil pasta until al dente, 8 minutes.  Drain.

In a large pot over medium heat, add artichoke hearts, cabbage, green onions, beans, chicken stock and bring to a simmer.  Season with thyme, salt, and pepper.  Add pasta and butter and stir, adjust seasonings to desired level.  Serve topped with Parmesan cheese.

11 comments:

  1. Delicious! Artichokes ARE a lot of work, but when it's done and you're eating them - the only thing that goes thru my mind is, "This was worth it!". Great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like artichokes a lot. Hubby not so much so I don't have them very often.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see why everybody like this-yum! I would have to buy the jarred artichokes, I am not as dedicated to clean and braise them as you. Thanks for sharing such a tasty dish

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks great! I love your flavors! TOTALLY worth the work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a hearty pasta dish, that is still light and not heavy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love artichokes and cabbage! Pair them with pasta and it's even better! This looks scrumptious! : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. I barely use artichockes in my cooking but this looks interesting and i can see myself and hubby enjoying it. Thanks for sharing this recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. was never a big fan of artichoke but looking at that pasta dish you made ..i am thinking may be I should just give it one more attempt :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for all the great comments! The artichoke process can take a bit of work, but the payoff was well worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm on such an artichoke kick right now. Your pasta with beans and cabbage looks great!

    ReplyDelete