Thursday, July 14, 2011

Taco Salad


My family's taco salad is something I have to explain to people each time I bring it to a picnic. Mostly to convince them that, in fact, it is a real thing. It's always eaten, always loved, but people approach it with...well, skepticism. Maybe it's the Catalina dressing, maybe it's the Frito's, I don't know. All I know is that it's delicious and if you need a really quick side to take to an event, boom, here it is (sorry no pictures, can't find them).

I don't know where this recipe started, but I did a quick Google search and can find only a similar version that Paula Deen makes with meat and salsa. Pretty sure my great-grandmother was not influenced by the Food Network, so I'm going to call it a wash.

What about you, dear readers, do you have some off-kilter dish in your family that may seem bananas but is delicious?

Taco Salad

1 large head iceberg lettuce, chopped into about 1-inch pieces
1 onion, diced
2 tomatoes, chopped
1 can ranch style beans
8 ounces cheddar or Colby-jack cheese, shredded
1 7-8 ounce bag Frito's, crushed
1 16-ounce bottle Catalina dressing

Quick tip: If you would prefer a milder onion flavor, rinse the chopped onions under water for a few seconds and let drain.

Combine lettuce, onion, tomatoes, beans, and cheese in a large bowl (this can be done ahead of time). Immediately before serving add Frito's and 3/4 of the bottle of dressing. Mix well, if salad seems dry add remaining dressing. Enjoy immediately.

4 comments:

  1. My mom actually makes this exact salad -- or something very similar to it; there might not be onions in her -- and it's both confusing to newcomers and very delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that salad sounds delicious, especially with the catalina dressing! We do something like that at school in a bag of fritos, but with beef. I would love to try your version with the beans!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This salad sounds perfect for summer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great salad! Anything with Fritos in my opinion is a winner!

    ReplyDelete