Wednesday, February 16, 2011

The Gage

We went to Chicago this past weekend for the auto show, as we do almost every year, and afterwards dined at The Gage.  The Gage is a gastro-pub, which basically means it serves really good food in a casual, almost bar-like atmosphere.  I enjoy a fancy meal sometimes, but casual is much more my cup of tea.

I have eaten at The Gage many times, and never once have I been short of amazed.  Their menu is outstanding and constantly changing, the beer list is rotating and impressive, and I'm pretty sure everyone who works there loves their job.

We usually start with their poutine, French fries and cheese curds covered in gravy.  This along with their beer and cheese fondue is probably two of the best items on the menu.   We also tried the escargot bon-bons for the table, which were served with a very nice goat cheese sauce and were extremely tender and flavorful.

I can go on and on about how good the rest of the meal was (the local sausages, chicken, or whitefish for a main course are great choices), but I figure I should focus more on the end of the meal.  Make sure you get dessert.  This place serves some of the best dessert of any restaurant I have ever been to.  I would recommend something, but it changes almost weekly. 

So the next time you are in Chicago, I would recommend this be one of your first stops.  It's a very popular place, as it should be from it's great food and drink.

1 comment: