Saturday, February 26, 2011

Just Kale Me Know

I seem to be on a soup kick lately.  Perhaps it’s the winter, or the snow, or the fact that I just don’t usually make a lot of soup.  Consider it a New Years resolution.  Also, I seemingly have a knack for leftovers.  Little by little I'm starting to break outside the confines of direct recipes and instead pull inspiration from places and make my own dish.  This soup started with a trip to Cape Cod over the holidays, where I had a delicious kale soup at Land Ho!, a great local seafood restaurant. 

Bold and determined to use my leftover turkey from Christmas dinner that was not turkey noodle soup, I settled on making a kale and turkey soup.  It's really yummy and warm.  This recipe is slightly different than the one I actually made because of ingredient choices, but it's going in the folder of regulars at my house.

If you really want to stretch your leftovers and dollar, I recommend making your own turkey stock for this soup with the leftover bones.
Kale and Turkey Soup

½ pound spicy Italian sausage or kielbasa, chopped
1 large onion, diced
2 carrots, peeled and diced
2 stalks celery, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 bay leaves
1/4 cup tomato paste
1 teaspoon red pepper flake
1 sprig fresh rosemary
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 cup white wine
1 large bunch kale, chopped and bottom stems trimmed
1 pound cooked turkey, shredded
10 cups chicken or turkey stock
1-15oz. can red kidney beans
1 pound bowtie pasta, cooked and drained
Salt and pepper

In a large pot over medium heat, brown sausage about 3-5 minutes.  Remove sausage with slotted spoon and set on plate.  Add onion to remaining drippings in man, scraping up the bottom and cooking onions about 2 minutes.  Add the celery and carrots and cook until just beginning to soften, about 3 more minutes.  Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds, followed by the bay leaves, red pepper flake, rosemary, tomato paste, some salt, and thyme.  Add wine to pan to deglaze.  Add in the turkey (and a leftover bone if you have it), stock, sausage, beans, pasta, and kale.  Bring to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes.  Season with salt and pepper (and more red pepper flake if you want more heat).  Serve and enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. I love soup this time of year. Living in AZ, it is too dang hot most of the time to have a kettle of soup bubbling away on the stove. I have to make tons to get my quotta in before the warm weather returns. I recently discovered that I love kale. It a great feature to this soup!

    ReplyDelete